Chess
Forum
LIVE
Play FREE or win CA$H Prizes!
Main Forum
World Cup Chess Match

World Cup Chess Match
Posted by BelfastBishop (VIP) Jun 7 2006 7:04PM

If u r not a football fan, then please dont feel ill when u read this! What about, in the spirit of the World Cup, a Chess tourney were different players represent the various countries of the World Cup? As they r matched-up in the real game so players could be matched up in the chess game. GC could run a program, similar to tourney rules, that determines which "signed up" players are allocated which football team. As for timings that can be discussed here. Just a thought...what do u think? PS - who do u think will win the World Cup?

BFB, did you
Posted by Capa5 Jun 8 2006 8:34AM

represent your country recently?

Great Idea
Posted by MrAleman (VIP) Jun 8 2006 9:52AM

It would make great sense. I just wonder if enough people are interested in the World Cup. I guess one problem is there are not many players here from such countries as the Ivory Coast and Ghana. Even so a nice idea I would like to see something like the Ryder Cup format in Golf. Maybe a GB and Ireland match against the US? Something like that would be good fun. Anyways as for the World Cup, it all starts tomorrow. And will England win it? Unlikely, but you never know. I will go for Brazil though!

the worldcup ...
Posted by dammerke Jun 8 2006 3:03PM

I am from Belgium , they are not qualified for the world cup! now i cant play your "world cup chess tourney " i suppose. But thats no problem: just like the Belgian footballers , i fear that i am too weak in chess to play this world cup tourney :) Brazil is my favorit , Argentina second favorit and after them there are Spain , England , maybe France who can surprise and go for a final win.

Clarification
Posted by BelfastBishop (VIP) Jun 8 2006 4:49PM

U dont need 2 b from the actual football country - I was suggesting, if enough players entered, that GC would assign a country to each player.

Posted by b1_returns (VIP) Jun 8 2006 4:59PM

basketball>football

excellent idea
Posted by Sam_Morton Aug 1 2006 3:08PM

I think a chess WC here would be fun. If certain countries do not have enough players, those countries can be made into groups. However, different time zones of the players may be a problem here, which is not an issue in a real world cup. Maybe Chesslab can work at identifying and resolving the different such issues now, and then organize a World Cup in a few months.

Posted by _PawnPlayer_ Aug 31 2006 4:21PM

I used to play for england juniors but now im 18 so just started playing here on the internet... so would be cool to represent england again.

join
Posted by jake_the_snake_doc Dec 3 2006 9:23PM

i want to join,

Posted by satar Mar 17 2007 3:06PM

i like the thought of the idea, and in order for gc to consider this, we should initialize some sort of a request with maybe alot of signatures electronically. Maybe this might get them to recognize the idea and post a section for chess based on countries and teams and such. I believe this idea deserves some credit...nice job belfast ;)

Word Cup
Posted by AlexBourke Mar 20 2008 9:45PM

The country that wins the football World Cup is often the one that knocks out England. Think about it, Brazil recently, Argentina with Maradonna and the Hand of God. England goes there with a terrific side but the draw is such that they meet the best team before the final and narrowly lose. So as I'm English, if you beat me (especially if you're German, Brazilian or Argentinian) then you know that you are gonna win the cup!

chess/soccer
Posted by joorge28 (VIP) Jun 1 2008 5:50AM

i'm a huge fan of both from a very early age. but i think the countries that are good at chess are not so bright in football, take russia, norway or india for example. as for the cup it was a great shot for brazil (favorite) and germany (hosts) to win even though italy (my favorite) won. lol

GC Store